Sunday, January 31, 2010

La Linea #222

I remember when I was younger, I used to watch Sesame Street. Who didn't, right? There were often clips of animation inter cut with the educational skits to keep the kids entertained. I just recently came across animation clips on YouTube that brought an instant smile to my face. I was captivated, waiting to see what happened next. Some one has posted up clips of animation called La Linea. They are simple entertaining short stories told using an animated line. It is amazing to view it again to see how much visual is communicated through strong silhouette, clear gesture, and audio. The designs are simplified to the point which you can project your own imagination into the scene. No rendering, no fancy back grounds, no complex cgi compositing. Just straight old school entertainment. (What happened to this type of entertainment in the mainstream? The more contrived complexity and realistic rendering that mass entertainment pours on the screen, the more I check out. I've got a list of reasons why. Too long and probably too dull to list here. You all probably know what I'm talking about. There is a hunger deep inside of us as viewers, probably groaning with each year, for something more substantial than mega million studio processed fare). However, La Linea I enjoyed it when I was younger and I can still enjoy it now as an adult. I'd be curious to see if you have the same reaction. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl4iKnWYVck&feature=related

2 comments:

Brandon said...

This stuff is rare because most programs now have to go through a filter of about two dozen executives that "don't get it". Then once they've royally screwed it up it has to be presented to some focus groups that over analyze every last frame. By the time your done you've got, what's equivalent to a animated collage with no single vision. All it takes is one idiot in the room - "Needs more color", "I don't get that joke", "I like puppies, can you add a puppy?"....Alright somebody come yank this soapbox out from under me:)

Phil Allora said...

Sounds like you work in the animation industry!
;)