Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lightning Appeal


I'm not sure how they were able to achieve it. Practice on previous projects? Some unique channel into my psyche? Or creators just having a great time and operating at peak performance?
The question is how is it that the creative forces of Passion Pictures and Jamie Hewlett fused so much appeal, charm, quirk-i-ness, and fine multi-media animation into an introductory short for the 2008 Olympics in Bejing, China. that to this day I can still watch repeatedly?
I was charmed when it was first released on to the air waves. If you haven't seen it, I think you may just like it. If you have enjoy the ride here:
Then come on back and let me know if you thought the trip was worth it.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

I've seen it many times myself. I have to agree with you. Shorts like that are always the place for cutting edge and experimental greatness. It's a rare occurrence when a big studio feature will try something so far out of the box.

Phil Allora said...

Agreed, Brandon.
I think when it comes to the big studios, there is so much money on the line, that the risk may be too great to stray too far from the predetermined patterns of previous $ucce$$ful films to try risky cutting edge experimental greatness.
But there are a rare few movies that somehow manage to get a few "moments" of edge into a film. Small consolation for audiences hungry for something "edgy and new".
P.