Friday, May 7, 2010

Process Sketch Stages: Tie Down


So here we are at Stage 5 in the drawing process of this manga cat character.
As I was progressing on this drawing, I was thinking about that this will be one of the first "inked" drawings I've done digitally that feels somewhat successful. Now that CS4 actually has the rotate canvas function, much like Painter does, I can now finally ink curves that I still couldn't get by turning my Cintiq.
I have to stress something about this process. The stages that I've presented so far on the blog, I most often employ when creating art for reproduction ( Comics, Illustration, or Commissions) Even though I dashed the previous sketches out in a few seconds, the stages would be much too time consuming to employ when creating art for storyboards in general. There is especially not much time when story boarding for television animation to ruff out each pose and do a very beautiful clean up drawing. When you have very active sequence with hundreds of poses and dozens of camera set ups/ layouts to draw with tight deadlines there has to be a better way to meet the deadline.
What I try to do instead is pre-visualize my sketch before I draw it. Then in as few lines as possible I try to capture the essence of the pose and characters emotional state, while staying loose and working furiously. I am thinking about the underlying structure of forms, the flow of the drawing, the action axis, the emotional context with concentrated efficiency.

I tried to keep each of the qualities mentioned above alive in the more tied down drawing while attempting to emulate a Manga style. That being said, if I were inking this drawing my traditional way, I would have approached the inks quite differently. Since, I wanted to emulate Manga, I was more conservative with the line weights.

The next stage of this drawing will add the zip tones and we'll call it done.
Till next time!

No comments: